Loop-di-loop

I’ve made quite a number of hats now, and while I enjoy coming up with new designs for hats, I started to think of other items I could crochet to try and broaden my horizons and improve my skills.  I started looking on pinterest for different crochet ideas, and I thought that making a baby afghan would be such a great challenge!  Just the size itself is something to keep me occupied for a while!  I had the idea to make it for my very good friend who had her second daughter this spring.

When I first started on my crochet craze, I shared with my sister-in-law what I was making and she suddenly offered me 2 large unused skeins of babysoft yarn.  I thought that these would be put to good use for the afghan.  I began looking for different patterns to use and actually started two patterns before I settled on this final one.  I started a granny square blanket, but this didn’t seem to be as interesting in just one color.  Most granny pattern afghans I see are interesting not just in their pattern, but also in their color choices.  Since I had two balls of yarn of a gauge that I didn’t normally use, I wanted to try and use it all up.  I didn’t want to buy more colors of the same type of yarn, so I was going to make a monochromatic blanket.

As I was browsing pinterest for interesting ideas, I came across an image for the broomstick lace crochet stitch here that I thought was beautiful!  I wasn’t sure how this would turn out for a blanket, but I figured I’d give it a go.  My first round of this stitch, I followed the directions on the blog.  But, I found I had difficulty keeping the loops the same size when they were all just hanging out like that.  I researched a little more and saw that some sites suggested using a thick knitting needle to hold all of the loose stitches before gathering them and crocheting them together.  Since I don’t have any knitting needles on hand, I scoured my apartment for something that would serve and ended up using one of our wooden cooking spoons.  My husband was a little confused when I went to the kitchen and came back triumphantly wielding a wooden spoon to hunker down and crochet with!  Haha!  Well, it works, so you use what you have, right?

This was my first afghan and it definitely had its challenges.  I had quite a difficult time keeping track of all the stitches and ended up dropping a number of stitches and having to pull out half of my progress at one point, which set me back about a week of work!  It was frustrating, but in the end, I’m glad that I did it since it really made a difference to the end result.  Finishing this blanket left me more relieved than anything, but I’m glad that I took on the challenge!

About these ads

I would love to hear your thoughts!

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s